Thursday, December 08, 2005

Banjo Brothers

Any company tossing out a reading list like this has to be good. Again, it is amazing how much cycling industry comes out of the frozen tundra of Minnesota. I wonder if it is because the winters force people to appreciate the summers. I have wondered if I would burn out if I lived in San Diego, or in a similar climate where it was always nice, always dry, always biking weather. Relative to southern California, biking is religion in Minnesota- if you base it on blog presence and bike industries.

On a related note, we are still borrowing Per Helge's car. Lise began her first day of work at the hospital. She asked me to drive her, since parking is almost nonexistent there. Actually, the entire country seems to have a parking problem. Anyway, she began work at 7:30, which is well before sunrise. I must have seen at least 50 bicycle commuters this morning. It is a thing of beauty here. Commuting is religion here. The typical commuter is a relatively low-end mountain bike with fenders, often a rack, and usually be-seen flashing lights (rather than a proper headlight). Most of these bikes are made by DBS out of Sandnes, so I guess I live in the sykkel capital of Norway. There are probably three times as many street lights in Norway, and all the commuter bike paths in the middle of nowhere are illuminated, so proper headlights aren't as important as in the US. They even salt and sand them in the middle of the night so they are ready for morning rush hour.

The sun is as shiny as my disposition this morning. I have a second interview with the software company late next week. I need to head out on a ride- soon, since I need to pick Lise up after work. This means nothing unexpected on this ride!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I just wanted to say "thanks for the mention." You have great blog - all of the photography is really great and the stories are fascinating.

You'll have to let us know if you can use anything bag-wise. It seems you'd be a great choice for testing a waterproof pannier.

Mike
Banjo Brothers

PS - you can reach me through our site on any of the links if you are interested in testing anything.