Monday, December 05, 2005

Interjvu Idag

It is warm and reasonably dry outside, but I am too exhausted to ride. I had a 1.5 hour long job interview today with a software company. My crystal ball tells me that an interview that lasts that long cannot be a bad sign. No more details until later, lest I jinx myself, other than to say that the interview was with the company's owner himself. I am feeling creatively bankrupt as well, so no attempts at any clever writing today. It takes a lot out of me to be "plugged-in" that long, in an interview in a foreign environment. The office park where the company is headquartered had a cafeteria, giving the workplace a college campus vibe. I could handle working there. If my last interview was one end of the spectrum, this was the exact opposite. The owner wore jeans and a sweater, had his feet up on the conference table. It was much more relaxed. He seemed to be hiring for personality, rather than particular experience. The nice thing about that kind of interview is that I am who I am- I cannot change that. Either he likes me or he doesn't. Asking a bunch of scaling questions that have no right or wrong answers means that, well, there are no right or wrong answers. That means there is nothing I should have done differently. He should know what he wants before Christmas. It would be an amazing gift if I had a job by then. Santa Claus? Julenissen? Are you listening? I have a very short list!

Having the interview today really took the sting out of Monday. Mondays are the worst days, since I feel so compelled to apply for jobs listed in the Saturday paper (even the daily paper is closed on Sunday), and become a bit despondent over the sometimes slim pickings. One interview trumps sending in a dozen applications. Double bonus points for this being our wedding anniversary. We are going out to eat at a Thai restaurant- hopefully one run by real Thais. All I want is some Pad Thai and some fresh spring rolls. The Singha will have to wait.

No comments: