Thursday, December 22, 2005

Great News on the Job Front

I received an email today stating that I will be receiving a job offer in the email for my review. This news could not have come at a better time- just before Christmas. The job begins the beginning of January. This job will truly be a career change for me, as it is in marketing management for a software company. It also gives me quite a sense of accomplishment, since I had no connections to this company. Almost all Americans living around here were gracefully plucked from the US and comfortably situated into cushy jobs in the oil and gas industry. I would not have been opposed to a company paying for our moving costs and setting us up with vehicles and a house, but many of these employees end up still spending half of their time abroad, away from their families. When I was calling to establish insurance, the agent assumed I worked for either NATO or an oil company. I don't think many people just decide to move here. Of course, you need to be married to a Norwegian to relocate from the US. It isn't like their immigration policies are any different than in the US- if anything, they are more strict.

At any rate, I am amazed I have made it this far in less than two months. I expected it to take up to six or nine months to find a decent job- maybe even longer, since I was required to make a career change. Spouses of coworkers who held professional jobs and who were laid off in the US often took many months to find comparable work- and they were seeking employment in their native country, in the same field. I was prepared for the worst. I have limited Norwegian skills, no work history in this country, and am making a career change away from health care. I also hadn't sought work since 1990.

Today I am bouncing off the walls. Yesterday I was going crazy, feeling claustrophobic from living in this submarine-like environment. We are so packed in here that we can hardly move. It is impossible to go from a house to an apartment. The extra bedroom is packed wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling with boxes. We were hoping for a guest room for all the American friends and family that will visit. I guess we will be that much more motivated to purchase a house- ASAP.

8 comments:

hereNT said...

Congrats on the new job - I need to get myself one of those for my birthday ;)

filtersweep said...

You are up rather late!

During my first interview with a recruiting company, the interviewer said, "most people tend to overestimate what they have and underestimate their potential." I think that is great advice- although maybe easier said then done. Good luck!

Frostbike said...

Congrats! It's always nice to have those big pieces of your life squared away.

filtersweep said...

No kidding! Work was my biggest concern about relocating- the part that was most out of my control.

Pete said...

Congrats EP!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What great news! It says alot about your skills and or at least your interviewing skills. I had confidence in your ability to land a job since you landed one with me in 1990 and proved yourself quite clearly and my decision to hire you. Way to go EP. I'll want to hear just what it is you'll be doing, marketing software, I take it it's not the same as selling software.

On a related note to jobs, I landed your old position at the county. I was congratulated by colleagues which seemed strange as I somehow didn't sense the need to be congratulated on such a partime slot but it was welcomed regardless. It would've been a stranger feeling to have not gotten the job; that would've been a slap in the face, downright embarassment.

filtersweep said...

Congrats on getting my old part-time job! I actually miss it and the people.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! One more happy biker in Norway. We need'em all.