Thursday, December 01, 2005

Can't Buy That in Norway

Items I miss:

Blistex- they have all sorts of strange Chapstick-style lip stuff, but I prefer Blistex.

Aveeno Shaving Cream- where do I begin? Most shaving cream is nothing but air and cheap fragrance- and is just as effective. Aveeno really does the job. It is fragrance-free and powered by oats. I have been substituting the kind of cream that comes in a little jar, but even that has fragrance. Why does everything have to smell all the time?

Mitchum Clear Scent-free Deodorant- says it is so effective you can skip a day- but I don't know about that. Again, it works and it is fragrance-free. It probably still is loaded with aluminum and does all sorts of nasty things, but I like it. It works. I have used it for years.

In googling Mitchum, I discovered there was quite a stir about their new Mitchum Man ad campaign. If you hit refresh a few times, you'll see what I mean. And, by the way, I didn't have anything to do with planning our wedding.

Blue Moon Beer- the Belgian wheat beer made in America (and priced accordingly). I have managed to find a few decent beers, including real Belgian wheat beer brewed in Belgium- or even better, German weiss bier. But priced at more than a bottle of wine, I can't afford them. At the rate we are going, I will only be drinking tap water before long.

In searching for the Blue Moon website, I was shocked to discover that they are owned by COORS?! I honestly had no idea. I beg for forgiveness. You might want to stay away from their website- it seems you need to enter your birthdate to view each and every page.

Rome- the new HBO series. It wouldn't surprise me if it eventually made it here, like Six Feet Under. Actually, they can get away with showing these on broadcast television- uncensored. Take that, Dr. Dobson! I find it very interesting that in Norway, families come first. Apparently showing the Chappelle Show uncensored or an R-rated movie does not completely destroy the moral fiber around here.

While I don't miss it yet, I am sure I will miss having some extra horsepower under the hood when we buy a car. Everything is underpowered around here. On the other hand, gas mileage is good.

3 comments:

Sui Generis said...

Hey, I also recently learned of the Coors-Blue Moon connexion (during a survey for my recent beer study) and I was as shocked as you! But hey, like you say, it tastes awesome and is affordable (in America, anyway).

By the way, I am really enjoying your tales of expat life!

Anonymous said...

Too bad you don't have anyone to buy this stuff for you and send it to you...you really shouldn't post your Christmas list on-line!!!

Talk at you soon.
CKP

Anonymous said...

I also love Blue Moon, but mourn their connection with the big C. Hopefully the connection will not taint Blue Moon becasue they got a good thing going.