Wednesday, December 28, 2005

How to Fry a Battery

What a waste of money. I purchased a NiteRider Trail Rat headlight last fall, and used it on and off (no pun) with OK results. I never liked the fact that it was a dumb battery system- certainly lighter than an SLA battery, but I was always left guessing how long to charge it. Prior to moving, I kept it on a timer. After the move, I was without a timer, and I left it charging for a few days. Now the battery is completely fried- it won't charge at all.

Suddenly my backup light with the boat anchor SLA battery is a bargain- as would hae paying twice as much for a smart battery. These dumb battery systems are a complete waste of money. If I buy a new battery (about $100+ shipping), I would be worse off than if I would have purchased a smart system in the first place.

No comments: