Tuesday, December 27, 2005

TV Time

I am not the audio-visual connoisseur I never was. I wouldn't mind a nice home theater system, but it has never been a huge priority. Conversely, in my music studio, I was always well equipped with relatively high end gear. Prior to moving, we sold our ten-year old TV for close to three beans. We almost gave it away- along with a nice VCR. TVs and VCRs use a different format here- not that it matters with VCRs. Who can find tapes these days?

We sold the TV because Europe is all PAL fomat, rather than the NTSC of North America. Region coding of DVDs aside, my Pioneer player should work with anything that takes component video- in other words, most high end TVs. Norway's low end TVs just have SCART connections, which are a cartridge type cable that includes both audio and video on one cable. They are bulky, but less ugly than having a bunch of different cables flying around.

Anyway, we need a new TV. We are borrowing one from a family who are returning to Stavanger this week. We need to return it. My question is, do we buy a high end regular TV, or a low end LCD TV? We cannot afford a plasma TV, so they are out of the question. A 32" wide 6:9 conventional TV starts as low as about 4000kr. The cheapest 26" LCDs begin around 6000kr. Since these are measured diagonally, and since they are wide aspect TVs, they are "smaller" than the older apect ration sets (shorter). Also, this is the first time I have actually seen "inches" used as a measurement unit since we moved. I am guessing a 6000kr LCD set would require some compromises, so perhaps there would be some price creep up to the 7000-8000kr range before happiness arrives.

I just returned from Elkjøp, which roughly translated means "electric shop." It is the Best Buy of Norway. There were probably four times as many LCD/plasma options as conventional CRT choices. People here take their televisions very seriously. I still don't know where to begin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you know all that stuff, PAL fomat, NTSC, SCART, I can't even remember it long enough to refer to it here without going back to your posting. You amaze me with your breadth of knowledge. What don't you know something about?

filtersweep said...

The video formats really aren't very arcane to anyone having connections abroad. In fact they are a huge hassle. I haven't even begun to discuss "region coding"- which seems almost criminal in its intent. (It is a "feature" designed to prevent you from playing a DVD purchased in the US on a player purchased abroad).

Anonymous said...

I STRONGLY recommend buying a nice conventional tube television, if you have the space. While they might not have the cache of the latest and greatest plasmas, the picture will be better.

Go into an electronics store and look carefully at the picture. The difference is in the subtleties. Look at skin tones and shadow details. A plasma or LCD is all brightness and contrast. I've yet to see a plasma, even the big money Runco's, that rival a quality tube. Make sure you are viewing a live-action DVD or HD, not animation. These are my experiences having been in the same quandry last summer.

filtersweep said...

I think that is the direction we are leaning. The "affordable" LCDs have much lower contrast ratios then the high end ones, and the shading seems to be a little blotchy, like on a poorly compressed jpeg.

Part of the trouble is that I don't think all the sets are calibrated very well, so it is difficult to compare apples to apples.

We sort of have the space. We have an excellent TV stand- which takes up the same space regardless of the TV size.