Tuesday, December 13, 2005

More Rain

Last night I had my own private tube patching party. I have had three flats so far, and a mystery leak from a bad stem, I think. Lise has been working all the time lately. I was actually excited when someone called- with a wrong number. Everything will change when I land a job.

No photos today, either. Visibility was poor. I rode to the post office to mail some Christmas cards to the US. I will never get to speak Norwegian. The Asian clerk saw the address and spoke to me in perfect American English. I then headed off to my usual nearby route. It was sprinkling when I left- more like mist than rain. I left my rain jacket at home, since it was 50F again and I didn't want to overheat. I made it out to the bridge where Harfsfjord meets the ocean. It was very windy- a cold northern wind blowing off the sea. As I headed home it started to rain. I was completely drenched. I don't really mind the rain anymore. What I don't like is all the effort that goes into cleaning up. We have no basement, and there is a fine grit that coats everything when it rains. Not only am I a mess, but I make the house a mess. At least I made it out for a few hours- and I am staying in great shape, considering it is winter and I am unemployed. I had a happy thought- we are almost to the solstice- at which time the days become longer. Today the sun rose at 9:22 and it set at 3:40- and it is still getting worse. At least we don't live "up north."

I phoned the shippers, and our container still hasn't arrived- nor do they know when it will arrive. They made it sound like it was lost. You would think they could track these things a little better. They are still planning on moving our things in on Thursday. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Jill Homer said...

You must live at a similar latitude to us ... sun rises here a little after 10 and sets at 3:30. It's hard to get used to, isn't it? Thanks for your suggestions on bike touring in Norway. I really do hope to do a Scandinavian trip someday. If not this summer, maybe next.
Thanks again!