Thursday, December 15, 2005

Credit Card Anguish

We were planning on ordering gifts online for my family in the US. This sounds simple enough. Well, the Target website was completely bombed. Pages were impossible to load. Amazon was sold out of what I wanted. I ended up at Marshal Fields, or Fields, or whatever it is called these days. I had my order all ready to go and I entered my credit card info- but it wouldn't take it. Actually, I was using my US Bank debit card- which always has functioned exactly as a Visa card. The trouble was, even though I was drawing US funds from a bank in the US- ironically named US Bank, I couldn't enter the address information to confirm my identity. In Norway, the zip code goes before the city, and only has four digits, and there is no state code, and- well, it is in Norway. Not giving up, I made a phone order to a very confused, but helpful customer service person. She had to trick the computer into accepting the order, but all should be well. I am thinking I should maintain a dummy address in the US for credit card orders. There must be an easier way.

No comments: