Saturday, December 31, 2005

Year End Round Up

I started this blog as an online race report. HereNT actually inspired me to start writing. His blog is very different than mine, which is probably what ultimately captured my interest.

These pages morphed into documenting my commuting and then describing our relocation. I have invested many words into this project. I would never "journal"- I can't even put together a photo album (we have a huge tub full of thousands of photos and 6-7000 digital images unsorted on a hard drive). It will be very interesting to look back on these days at some point in the future. This is a very strange time for me. I am out of work, living in a foreign country. At some point, I will be effortlessly navigating this city, speaking the language fluently, and hanging out with friends of my own.

I don't know what google or imageshack will do with the morass of blog pages and images in the future. These are free services, so I inherently mistrust them. My end of the year project was to load each monthly archive and save them to my hard drive for archival purposes. Firefox (my browser of choice) lacks the function to save entire pages, so I tried using IE. IE kept choking trying to save the pages- and wouldn't save any of them. I then downloaded a Firefox plug-in and was in business. Everything is all neat and saved. All the images are saved in a separate folder, like in IE. I was considering emailing the pages to myself for further archiving, but I don't have winzip on this PC. It blows my mind that it is almost 2006, and windows won't allow a folder to be attached to a message, or that any tools to perform such tasks must be downloaded from a third party.

2 comments:

hereNT said...

I'm glad I inspired you to actually write - it's been pretty sweet seeing your photos and descriptions of Norway.

Good luck with everything out there...

I gotta stop getting people into blogging. So far I have you, LunaticBiker, SuperRookie, my brother and sister, and I think a couple of others. Considering the reason I started mine, it doesn't seem like all that good of a thing...

Anonymous said...

For backup purposes you might want to try the Opera browser Community at http://my.opera.com/community/. I use their blog service and find it quite nice. The Opera blog service claims to be able to import blogs from Blogger - I think you could back up from Blogger to Opera rather than to your drive. You might get cool points from your new colleagues by using a Norwegian service and browser, too. FYI, I linked into your blog via TheImpossibleThrill. You're telling a great story. If your company is hiring, consider me interested!