Saturday, April 22, 2006

After work 80km

Yesterday afternoon I met up with Lectron, who almost lives across the street to embark on a flat ride south of the beaches. Initially I was contemplating a Saturday club ride, but he suggested that it would be 100 riders, and who knew what the weather would be like. We headed out in the remnants of Friday rush hour traffic, and worked our way to the beach, then south through the huge farms in this part of Norway. I swear every farmer was out spraying manure- funky tanker trucks spraying a huge brown cloud behind them. I don't understand why nobody has contemplated using these trucks for riot control- I can't imagine a better crowd dispersal technique. As I contemplated the evolutionary purpose behind why the human nose can detect the odor of manure better than almost anything else in the world we wound through Klepp and beyond.

As we passed through a wooded area, I spied the unmistakable profile of a wheel car heading toward us- the type used to support races. While it was empty of wheels, it was motorpacing three guys- out in the middle of nowhere. I don't ever recall seeing that back in MN. It also serves a rather ominuous sign as to what the racing scene holds.

As usual, I hadn't a clue where we really were. This lead to the perception that we were much further from home than we really were. Eventually we were back in familiar territory. My legs were toast. My toes were cold, but other than that I was fine. I was long overdue for food. I vowed next time to pay better attention to where I was.

Today already looks like excellent weather. I need to be outside- sooner than later. At this rate, we could see 50 degrees today.

No comments: