Sunday, April 02, 2006

Spring Is Near

Yesterday I took off before noon in 30-something temperatures and rode to our new neighborhood to scout out biking routes from that side of the hill. I worked my way through Forus, then to the airport. I ended up at the beach, watching skydivers dropping out of planes- a little too close to the airport if you ask me. I saw a road pointing south, so I followed it along the coast. It took me along mile after mile of sandy beach and gigantic farms. This is Norway's best farmland and beach area. The land is relatively flat, and the cost is not rocky. I didn't know where I would end up, but it didn't matter. The sun was out and the day was warming up. I discovered that it matters little that there are no shoulders, because there was no traffic. I had the road to myself.

I eventually turned inland, and found a route to Klepp, which I followed. It was a rather unremarkable farm town, from appearances. If they would have just moved it a little further west, it would be on the ocean. From Klepp I returned to Sola and the airport, then found my way home after a few false starts. I also discovered a trail that is very similar to the Cedar Lake trail- minus the lake. It was a major shortcut that was nowhere near a road. I made it home in an excellent mood. Funny how winter is devoid of smells, other than car exhaust (which seems to be amplified to colder it is). It still doesn't smell like spring, but I saw all sorts of little flowers starting to emerge. I definitely could smell manure around the farms, the the smell of raw earth that has just been tilled. Spring is near.

No comments: