Sunday, April 16, 2006

Ride to Hommersåk

Our day began in the flattest of flat- in the Netherlands as we took a train back to Amsterdam. As this was Easter, we ended up with a free upgrade to first class- train. I still haven't figured out what the difference is.

Our flight somehow ended up a half hour early- and it is less than two hours anyway, so it didn't make much sense, but I wasn't complaining about arriving home sooner than expected. It was sunny and relatively warm. I had to get out for a ride.
I rode to Hommersåk, a small town across the fjord from Stavanger, that sort of lies behind Dale. Today was the first day for wearing shorts with leg warmers (rather than tights) and a long sleeve jersey with a base layer (rather than a winter jacket). I was quite comfortable until I approached Hommersåk and the wind off the sea.



On the way back to Sandnes.


It is an easy hour and forty-five minutes round trip. It is such a different world that it seems so far away, but it isn't. If I had more time, I would have ridden to Bersagel. It felt good to get out, and the air is starting to feel like spring. I really need to drop about 5 kilos of this winter weight, and get back into shape. Actually 5 kilos might be a bit much- but hopefully just being more active will kick things back into gear. I just don't seem to bounce back as quickly as I grow older. Tomorrow we head to Kvitsøy- maybe I will make it out for an early ride. I think we catch the ferry around noon.

No comments: