Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Mysterious Benefactor

A pre-field test review of the Banjo Brothers bags sent to me by a "rich uncle" in America. Actually Eric of Banjo Brothers was very kind to send an excellent care package to water-logged Stavanger: waterproof panniers. I have been rather swamped with preparing to leave for India next week, and after taking almost a week off for Easter, but I was back commuting today. Yesterday I needed a car to send in my passport for my travel visa.

Anyway, these look to be truly waterproof. My old panniers were nylon with a "waterproof" nylon rain cover. The problem with this design is that water ends up collected in a puddle inside the waterproof cover, and the bag ends up sitting in this water.

The Banjo Brothers bag is actually two bags- a typical nylon style outer bag with a vinyl inner bag that looks like a dry bag for kayaking. First impressions are that these are very well made. The stitching is perfect, and these are built solidly with excellent fit and finish. Every detail seems to be well engineered, including reflective piping, a lower bulge to the panniers to keep the center of gravity low, and a shock-cord connection system to prevent the bag from flopping around (while still making it easy to remove).
The bag attaches to the outer bag with velcro. The bag is designed to close by rolling up the top, and cinching it with a clip.

These seem to have just the right capacity. I don't need any bulky touring bags- these offer the perfect capacity. I really like the heavy-duty vinyl liner. I have found that tools tend to move around as I ride, and they evenually wear holes in standard nylon panniers (if they are not carefully wrapped up and cinched down). These offer no-worry carrying capacity. No worries about bottle caps ripping into fabric, or a screwdriver eventually working its way through the bag.

As a bonus, he sent a seat bag- which is also the perfect size for a flat kit. Again, the attention to detail is excellent- including the fact that the velcro "hooks" face inward so they will not chew up my shorts (as some other bags can and do).

In the top photo, you can also see a pocket "messenger bag"- which seems like a great idea for carrying something home a short distance- certainly better than hanging grocery bags from the handlbars. Again, this is not a fancy messenger bag, but rather a bag that folds up into next to nothing and could easily fit into any pocket.

I was a little surprised the liners were white, but it actually another great idea. It offers much more contrast and visibility for digging through a crowded bag. Another issue that occurred to me was the lack of an external flap or pocket for stashing keys or a map. Then it hit me- these are waterproof. The map flap on my old bags are their achillies heel. The zipper has a lip where water easily enters. These are designed to be truly waterproof.

Again, I thank Eric, and will begin using them. It seems every day is still wet around here, including an afternoon commute through sleet. Funny thing is that I really don't seem to mind it as much when it is dry when I leave, as it was today- sunny with black clouds approaching. I had just enough time to purchase a chain pin before I was pelted with tiny rocks of ice. Still, it beats driving. Anyway, let the field test begin!

No comments: