Saturday, April 29, 2006

New Camera

We awoke early, and I assembled Lise's road bike. We rode out to Dale for a test ride. Everything seemed fine. We then went to Sandnes to buy some shrimp and to check out a possible mountain bike for Lise. I then discovered the Celeste bike I lusted over a few days ago was actually a lower model than the one I ended up with. Things have a way of working out. We discovered a festival downtown Sandnes, and wandered around before shopping for a new camera.

We decided to buy a replacement camera here. It just wasn't worth it to struggle with the replacement program. Besides, it would be nice to take one to India, and at this point, a digital camera is more of a necessity than a nicety. We ended up with another Canon. I was a little disappointed that it didn't have a viewfinder, but then I discovered almost none of the low to mid-range cameras do. We ended up with a tiny five mega pixels model- smaller than my cell phone.
I went out for another ride on the new bike. I think I need a longer seat post.

I met up with a friend up the hill. This guy must be quite tame, since he ran over to visit me. My guess is that kids (no pun) probably feed them.

The freeway goes through a tunnel. I rode a series of service roads and horse trails above the tunnel.

I should probably avoid rocks like these. I really don't have much technical skill, and a low speed crash is why we needed a new camera. Today I took these routes conservatively.

There is still snow in the mountains across the fjord. I have no idea where those mountains are or what they are called.

These are taken from the end of the tunnel that faces downtown (sentrum- which probably is a better word considering downtown isn't always down).

I think that might be Hommersok across the fjord. I am too lazy to code in the vowel- I am on the US computer at the moment, so pardon my spelling.

I headed home. I was wearing shorts today. It was in the mid 40s- maybe close to 50. I wasn't the only one in shorts. People had convertible tops down because it was so "warm." You can see the trees haven't started to leaf out yet. The grass is always this green- even in the dead of winter.

I took the Sormarkruta home to avoid stadium traffic. I encountered a man in his mid 60s if not 70s on the side of the road with a mechanical. He had a beautiful carbon bike (I think the brand was Stephens), with DA 9. His Ritchey freehub was jammed, so it functioned like a fixed gear (it would not coast at all). I tried to help and offered him a ride home, but he declined. He thought he could make it home. I strongly warned him that he could rip the deraileur off if he applied any back pressure. I almost insisted that I go home, pick up our car, and give him a ride, but he said it was a nice evening out and he would be fine. I hope he didn't blow up his deraileur.

4 comments:

Regular Guest said...

Quite a few nice routes for mountain biking up there.

I believe Hafrsfjord sykkelklubb (www.sykkelklubben.com) have organized rides around that area every Tuesday at 17:00

Regular Guest said...

OOooops. Sorry. Nice bike! :)

Do I need to buy one as well now??

filtersweep said...

I can't quite imagine an organized mtn bike ride.

I haven't given up on road biking. I am probably too old to be too crazy on a mtn bike, but it is a dramatic difference from riding any of my road bike flavors. Several coworkers are doing the race from Egersund next month, which helped prompt me to buy this.

Regular Guest said...

The winner from the Egersund race last year rode with a rigid (CF) fork. A lot of that race is on road. But by all means. There's quite a few pure off road races as well witch I wont be joining with my CXs