Monday, April 03, 2006

Apples and Oranges

It is difficult not to compare life here to my previous existence in Minneapolis. I have concluded that the issues I miss most appeal to my sense of vanity. In the grand scheme of things, they are meaningless. For example, I miss the masses of road bikers, and the relatively large scale of the racing scene in Minneapolis. However, in the height of summer, weekend biking is as much a "see and be seen" endeavor as anything else. But the bulk of my riding was ultimately solitary commuting as a marginalized freak or riding alone.

I still compare the weather to Minneapolis, and Minnesota is starting to cross over and surpass the more temperate climate of coastal Norway. Today it rained most of the day. At five it was dry, and I ventured out and rode to a spot in Tannanger by the ocean, just on the other side of Harfsfjord. I had ridden there before. There is a magical point where I could see downtown Stavanger straight ahead. Off to my left is the ocean, and on a clear day like today I can see Kvitsøy. To my right are the mountains, off in the distance, capped with stormy clouds. It appeared to be snowing. I took this route for no other reason that in today's paper Gunn Rita Dahle recommended it as one of her training rides.

I always feel better after riding along the ocean. Granted it was very windy. As cold as it was, it was dry, and I didn't need ear warmers, long gloves, booties, or any other hardcore winter gear. It may not have been "warm," but it was warm enough. Most importantly, it completely rearranges my mental health for the better. Also, I am learning to appreciate the hills, as hills offer views. Yesterday I switched my chainring to the other side of the spider to give me a better chainline with the single chainring setup. This has completely fixed my chain throwing problem, and it has given me full use of my cassette- finally. As I approached home, I saw Lise walking up the hill from the store, making a perfect ending to a perfect ride.

No comments: