Friday, April 07, 2006

Those Whacky Norwegians

My 2 megapixel phone camera is coming in handy for discreetly taking photos of oddities around town. While some of these are borderline inappropriate, there is nothing here that can't been seen just wandering about.

What is more appetizing than a canned ham called "Bog?" Spam has nothing on Bog!

Spotted in Obs last night, the local version of Target: fashion for clones?

Quite possibly the world's largest production roll of toilet paper- dubiously named "Big Willy?"

The best for last: how to say "Closed" with class and aplomb!

The Long Road Home
I finally figured out how to bike around Harfsfjord, which adds an hour to my commute home. Call me strange, but fifteen minutes is too short of a ride. It was very windy, but it was a spring wind- for flying a kite in March on an open grassy field in the midwest. Except there was a stiff wind blowing off the north sea. At least it felt warmish. My rain bike is holding together well after I fixed it, but the bottom bracket is trashed. I really need a new square taper sealed unit. As is, there is so much play in it that I know the bearing are shot. This is beyond adjustment. While I like how frictionless old school BBs can be, the downside is their maintenance. Maybe this weekend I will get around to changing it.

1 comment:

Frostbike said...

I hear you. My winter bike is having the same BB issues. I'm sure it's trashed, but haven't taken it apart to see the damage yet.