Saturday, April 22, 2006

Ride Report: Bersagel Loop

While the temperature was nice, it was windy. Lise was leaning toward biking down along the ocean, but I thought the wind would be worse in that area. We headed south toward Sandnes. Not far from home, Lise realized she had launched her water bottle, so we stopped at Spin Sykkel to buy a new one. As we rolled in, there were bikers everywhere stopped for rolls and water. This was the club ride we were missing. Judging by the huge diversity, I don't think we were missing much- and judging by the time, they hadn't made it very far if they actually left at the scheduled time of 10am. While I want to hook up with a club, this looked more like a mob- probably not the best way to make some biking connections. Many of these bikers looked at us like we just stepped out of a spaceship, with me on my mustached commuter, and Lise on her single speed.

We resumed riding. I was a little concerned that I forgot my multitool, as I just switched to the Banjon Brothers panniers. I had tried to buy one at Spin, but they only had very expensive ones. I just wanted the basic Park- of which I already have two (just not with me). We headed up toward Hana, and I stupidly promised this would be the biggest hill of the day. I should point out that Lise was on her single speed. I believe it has a 39X16- which was perfect for Minnesota. We made it up that hill and headed south. We then headed along 13 on our way to Bersagel. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. We started out with some nice hills, with some long slow climbs. The further from civilization, the narrower and narrower the roads became. There were all sorts of tight blind corners on switchbacks, but it wasn't anything too crazy. Besides, there was virtually not traffic. Bersagel is like a dead-end. There is no ferry crossing. It is a small place down by the fjord in the middle of nowhere.

We next headed toward Hommersåk, which was "only" 10K. For starters, it was almost straight up from Bersagel- and again, Lise was a monster on her single speed. I was on my commuter to sort of even things out, but I had a few useable gears. She had nothing but her guts to get her up the hills. Eventually we made it and stopped for a food break by the water- like almost everything in Norway, it is located on a fjord.

We left Hommersåk and rode against the wind all the way to Sandnes. By the time we reached Sentrum, we had only two remaining hills. By the time we had it home we had ridden about 65km- and it felt like it was all either up hill or against the wind. I still can't believe Lise rode this on one gear. We really need to get her road bike back from Kvitsøy. I think if we would have known how hilly it would be, we would have never set out on this route. But as it was, it was a beautiful day, a beautiful ride- and besides, what is a little wind?

The narrower roads have the white lines on the sides, not in the center. As we rode further, we ended up with a narrow one lane road- hoping we didn't encounter a bus coming around a blind curve.

I swear there are bus stops for the wildlife. They are all over- in the middle of nowhere.

There is still snow in the mountains, but I doubt it will last long. No matter how far I ride, the mountains seem to stay the same distance away.

This is a lake. If it were in the US there would be cabins everywhere. Here, no one seems too interested in lakes.



The single speed monster herself. She later said she received strange looks when she stopped in a store. I suggested the Swedish colors were putting people off.



You can coast for miles.

There was still much sand on the side of the roads.

Dreaded ferists ahead: steel bars placed in the road to mess with cattle.



We just climbed up this hill.

Her single speed steed.

Only a foreigner would ride mustache bars in Norway.


Taking a break in Hommersåk. After a few miles uphill, we will fight the wind all the way home.

No comments: